Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tim's Special Egg Noodle Soup

The fridge was getting a little empty and I was left with some Chinese baby bok-choy (chinese baby cabbage), shrimp and some beef neckbones.  Didn't have anything in mind at first and to make something out of just these base ingredients, just seems boring.  Kept second guessing myself that I could make something for dinner tonight and looking through the fridge, I was lucky to find one package of egg noodles.  That is when I was like "I can whip up my special egg noodle soup".  The Pham family has always been in love with any kind of noodle soup.  Growing up, mom usually makes Pho on a saturday morning and I remembered running downstairs before brushing my teeth to have mom prepare me a bowl.  I usually eat two bowls of Pho leaving just enough for a couple of bowls later in the day.  Even with my cousins on my dad's side of the family, they're big fans of noodle soup.  With lots of aunts and female cousins being "the" cook in their households, they too can whip up an excellent bowl of Pho, and many types of egg noodle soup.  The Pham family has always been big when it comes down to cooking.  I'm no where near one tenth of a percent of my mom, aunts and cousins.  But I'm blessed just to be able to cook.  

Anyhow, enough about my family right (lol)?  Now back to this recipe for tonight's dinner.  This didn't take me all that long because I was working with only a few ingredients.  I started out making the broth for the soup by adding beef neckbones to half a pot of water with some salt.  Be sure to rinse the neckbones with salt water, it will help lower the amount of foamy residue coming off of the meat will boiling.  I always do this with any kind of meat that I prepare whether I'm boiling them or not.  Once you have the neckbones boiling, set heat to medium and let it simmer for about 20mins.  Meanwhile, wash the chinese baby cabbage (baby bok-choy), break off each clove and cut in half.  Add in dried shrimp for flavoring the soup, salt, sugar, pepper and fish sauce to bring out the broth to taste.  Turn heat to low heat and add in the shrimps and bok-choy.  Cover pan let simmer for about 5mins.  Then garnish broth with chopped green onions and dried fried onions.  For the egg noodles, you can use any type.  I just like the thinner one because it is faster to cook and has a better texture when you bite into them.   Boil water, then add in one package of egg noodles and stir for about 10-20 seconds.  DO NOT over cook, or the noodles will turn pale from its golden yellow color and becomes soft.  Be sure to add enough water when boiling because the starch coming from the noodles will thicken up the water.  Rinse egg noodles under cold water let it sit for about 5 mins before serving.  This goes well with some hoison sauce and sirachi red chilli sauce to dip the vegetable, and shrimp.   I ran out of the sirachi sauce =(.  Enjoy

Ingredients - 1 package of beef neckbones, 1/4 cup of chopped green onions, 1 tbl spoon of dried shrimp, 1 cup of thawed cocktail shrimp, 1 package of chinese baby cabbage (baby bok-choy), 1 package of egg noodles, 2 tbl spoons of dried fried onions, salt, sugar, pepper, fish sauce to taste.  

1 comment:

  1. timmy can you share some of your crab recipes? I'm looking to catch some tomorrow and want to know the pham bam method

    ReplyDelete