Thursday, July 16, 2009

Tim's Zesty Lemon Chops

11:45pm- The 11 O'clock dinner!  Had a busy day today, so I wasn't able to start making dinner for myself until 9pm.  I knew what I was going to make so when I got everything laid out, I was missing a grater and some rosemary.  So I drove to Vons and pick them up (that was 20min wasted).  

So I was watching the Food Network the other day and came across a cooking show "Barefoot Contessa". She was preparing some marinade for the chicken and used a couple of ingredients that I thought it could be an addition to my own marinade for my pork chops.  They we're lemon and rosemary.  Had some pork chops in the freezer and decided to give it a shot to see how well it goes with my marinade.  Working with rosemary and lemon, I thought I would hold back some of other ingredients that go into my marinade.  This is because I wanted the flavor of the rosemary and the taste of lemon in the chops to come alive when you bite into the chops.  This actually turned out great and tasted wonderful, I asked one of my roommates to try it and she loved it!  It was my first time making this kind of marinade.  I will try this on chicken to see how well the lemon will turn out.  

The marinade-  I used 1/2 cup of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), 1/2 cup of chopped green onions, 2 tbl spoons of salt 2 tbl spoons of ground pepper, 4 table spoons of sugar, 6 garlic cloves (minced),  1/4 cup of lemon zest, 2 lemons and 1/4 cup of oyster sauce. 

Preparation- wash chops with salt water, dry with paper towels.  Make slash marks on both surfaces of the chops so that the marinade can obsorb faster.  In a large mixing bowl, mix in all of the marinade ingredients, then squeeze in 2 lemons.  Stir well, add in 4 pork chops, make sure the marinade is on both sides of the chops.  Let it sit for about 30mins to let the flavor soak into the chops.  When you start seeing the chops fading from a redish color to more of a brownish tan color, that means it is good to go.  The longer you leave it in the marinade, the better and more flavorful it will come out.  I just had to eat dinner because I was starving so I marinaded for 30mins.    For frying the chops, put EVOO in a sauce pan with high heat on.  Then add in 2 chops and reduce heat to medium, let each side cook for about 5 minutes for a medium rare center or to desired doneness.  If you want the chops throughly cooked,  cut through the center of the chops to see if its still raw/pink inside.  

No comments:

Post a Comment