Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Sweet & Sour Honey Walnut Shrimp W/ Five Seasons Fried Rice

Another great favorite of mine that I've always wanted to have when sitting down at a chinese restaurant. The honey walnut shrimp is usually an appetizer people order before diving into their entrees. Without a doubt, a plate of honey walnut shirmp isn't easy on your wallet. It ranges from $11.00 - $15.00 for a good size plate. You can make your own honey walnut shrimp for a fraction of the cost. You just need to have the right ingredients. I was missing the honey and mayo so of course I went and bought it at my local Vons store.

I made a pretty big portion of the honey walnut shrimp, I took the original recipe and add my spin to it by adding in some spices that you wouldn't think go with this dish. The bottom line is that it turned out great and with the lemon juice I added gave it that lemon kick in the beginning but sweeten up after. The walnut that has been stir fry with butter and sugar gave it that crunchy sweetness taste to the nut which gives it a bit of a flavor. To pair it with rice, I didn't want to have my honey walnut shrimp with just plain white rice but i used my 5 spices to create a fried rice that goes really well with the shrimp. It was really easy, quick and very tasteful. If you wanted a piece of shrimp heaven, I recommend you trying out the honey walnut shrimp.

Sweet & Sour Honey Walnut Shrimp Ingredients
Batter: sugar, eggs, salt, pepper, five spice powder, red chilli powder, paprika, water
Sauce: Mayo, sweetened condense milk, honey, lemon juice
Walnut : Walnut of course, butter, sugar

5 Seasons Fried Rice Ingredients: Rice, green onions, minced garlic, salt, pepper, sugar, red chilli powder, paprika, red sweet onions, fish sauce.

3 comments:

  1. How do I make the shrimps? I so want to try this, it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laid out the ingredients for the batter, sauce and how to prepare the walnuts.

    first you put the walnuts into a sauce pan with a 3 tbl spoons of butter, and 1 tbl spoon of sugar. stir fry the walnuts for 5 minutes and set it aside.

    for the sauce, just add mayo, sweet condense milk, honey and a squeeze of 1/4 of a lemon. Mix well until sauce becomes thick and creamy. Make sure that it taste sweet but has a little kick of sourness.

    to make the shrimp, prepare the batter by adding sugar, eggs, salt, pepper, five spice powder, red chilli powder, paprika, water. You can choose to add all of these or just what ever you want in the batter. Just make sure that the sugar, egg, and water. Make sure the shrimps are peeled and butterfly the shrimp. dip the shrimp in the batter then into a pan of flour then into a pan of panko bread crumps. Then deep fry the shrimps until golden brown. to finish it off, smuthered the shrimp in the sauce and presented with the walnuts. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds delicious! Thanks Tim for the details, I'll give it a try once I'm in my new place.

    ReplyDelete