Tuesday, September 01, 2009

The Birthday Dumplings




























The night before my 27th birthday (8/31/2009), I decided to prepare for the very first time pork & herbs dumplings with my own personal dipping sauce. I saw a show on TV about making dumplings and I thought it would be a great a idea to make it for the first time and bring it into my workplace for people to try on my birthday. That's what I did and it was well worth the time and effort just to hear people compliment. People at Genesee Scientific are very happy to taste any of my cooking that I bring in.

This recipe took me about 3hrs to complete as I was preparing the meat filling and folding the dumplings to make three full trays. Instead of spending 3hrs doing my admin work at night I decided to give it up and make these dumplings. I used the ingredients mentioned on the TV show but to make it my own specialty, I added several other ingredients for more flavors. Preparation was the longest process but luckily I found that I had a steamer that I used to speed up the steaming process. Unlike what I saw where they fried the bottom of the dumplings to a golden brown color and add water later and steam it in the same frying pan. I made it a two step where first I fried the bottom of the dumplings first then removed it from the frying pan into the steamer. This way it removes a lot of the flour starch outside of the wraps by them falling into the bottom of the steamer.

For the meat filling I used 2lbs of ground pork, 1 red sweet onion(chopped), lots of green onions(chopped), garlic (chopped), and a few other ingredients I want to keep it as a secret. I first sauteed the sweet onions, green onions, and garlic in a pan to release their flavors then add it into the pork along with other herbs and spices. Mixed them very well and evenly and let it sit for about 15mins. To make the dumplings, instead of making my own dough (due to time), I used the pre-cut dumpling wraps from 99 Ranch Market. With one beatened egg, apply the yolk around the edges of the wraps and place about a table spoon of the meet filling into the center of the wrap. Then fold the wrap, if you wanted to make it look nice you can do the fold and pinch method to give the dumplings it's traditional look.

For the sauce, I used dark soysauce as the base of the sauce and add in the rice vinegar for the tart taste. I also added in some finely chopped green onions, sugar, sirachi chilli sauce, and fresh lemon juice to give it of a soury spice tart taste to compliment the dumplings. I couldn't wait to eat them but when i was finished it was heaven! OMFG!!! bon appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment