Sunday, August 07, 2011

My 90-Day Vegetarian Challenge Day 31

Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian

Entering my first day of phase 2, it's ovo-lacto vegetarian here on out for the next 60 days to complete my challenge. Today was Seafair Sunday which means the city of Seattle puts up this event where they have air shows, hydro plane races, and other festivities going on at Lake Washington. I happen to meet up with several of my friends from middle school and high school at a buddy's house where he and his family were throwing a BBQ by the lake. Food was plentiful and a lot of people came. There were BBQ chicken, hamburger meat patties, all types of sausage links, and countless of different side dishes. As always I was tempted to just give up my challenge right then and there and have me a sausage link or a juicy cheeseburger. I ended up just having macaroni salad and egg potato salad. Yes, people thought I was crazy but they did support what I'm doing. It was fun, enjoyed the people, the air show and the conversations.


For dinner I decided to use the lemon basil pasta I bought yesterday at Pike Place Market along with other vegetarian things from the grocery store. I wanted to make an Italian dish involving these ingredients. I used the Tofurky links and chopped tomatoes to incorporate them with the pasta. This turns out to be the Italian sausage pasta. I've also added a side that I called stuffed tofu tomato, which was easy to make. Overall both were pretty good, I liked the pasta better. The only thing that killed my appetite was that my taste buds and my stomach are not used to the Tofurky sausage links. It did not go down well or processed well. I guess I would have to get used to it because from here on out, no meat, no fish, no seafood. Nothing but tofu!


-Timothy Pham

No comments:

Post a Comment