Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My 90-Day Vegetarian Challenge Day 33

Wild Ginger 08.09.11

Ok, so I apologize for not blogging yesterday because I totally forgot about it when I was invited out late with a couple of buddies to have drinks. It looks like that I'm going to have two posts up under one day due to this. So please consider this as my apology.

I made dinner plans with my friend Kimiko yesterday evening. I spent a couple of days on the internet searching for a great restaurant that would offer a good vegetarian menu just for me. Although there are plenty of vegetarian restaurants I have come across, I had to keep Kimiko in mind that she's not a vegetarian and she wanted to have choices in picking what she wants to eat. After careful consideration, I have decided to check out Wild Ginger in downtown Seattle, an Asian restaurant with a western influence. Much like a PF Chang's but the good news is that the food here at Wild Ginger look and taste way better than PF Chang's.

It does seem more difficult to choose a nice restaurant to dine at if you're a vegetarian dining at a non-vegetarian restaurant. Most if not all menus are catered to meat-eaters and for vegetarians, the menu is very limited. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of nice vegetarian restaurants out there that would better suit you and your group if everyone is a vegetarian or is planning to eat vegetarian for that particular sitting.


We with a couple of appetizers, I had the Vietnamese vegetarian spring rolls with pineapple dipping sauce and Kimiko had the satay dish with skewered vegetables with orange-teriyaki dipping sauce. Both were awesome, flavors were there working well with each other without one over powering the other. Few moments later as we were waiting for our entrees to come out (the wait was a little longer than expected), we ordered two portions of the steamed buns which was very good and fluffy paired with a sweet & sour tamarind dipping sauce.


Moving onto our entrees, we bother ordered the Phad Thai but her's came with chicken and mine just had eggs and a lot of tofu. The portions were big more than I expected from an upscale westernized Asian restaurant. The base that makes Phad Thai what is it was just perfect unlike other Thai restaurants where it's too chalky with a strong taste to it. Here at Wild Ginger it's just right on. I've also went with a second entree which i ordered the seven flavor tofu which was really good. The tofu were extra firm and stir fried with lemon grass, peanuts, hoisin, chilies, basil, garlic and ginger served on a bed of bean sprouts and basil paired with my choice of rice which I went with brown. We were blown away with all the food we had ordered and our table was crying for extra space. I was so caught up in their vegetarian menu that I ordered more than I could eat. Instead of just picking an American restaurant like Daniel's Broiler which did not have much of a vegetarian menu I figured I would enjoy more flavors and choices by picking an Asian restaurant like Wild Ginger. I'm glad that I did and boy did we enjoyed our coconut gelato and a rich chocolate torte.


-Timothy Pham


No comments:

Post a Comment