Monday, August 08, 2011

My 90-Day Vegetarian Challenge Day 32

What's the chili yo!



Last night's dinner was ok but tasted a lot better this morning when all the flavors got to know each other better. Pretty much it's what I had for breakfast and lunch. Tonight, I looked in my inventory of vegetarian food to see what I can come up with and then I saw a can of Hormel vegetarian chili and I thought up something unique since I have a bag of meatless meatballs. I love chili especially the one I make ( I think mine tastes a lot better than at most places I have had chili). I usually make it with ground turkey but this time I'm using meatless meatballs. Instead of crushing them up but rather kept it in it's form and have fun at this recipe.


Here I laid out most of the ingredients I used. All the vegetables are homegrown by my mom which she harvested from her backyard for me except for the chopped tomatoes. Nothing beats homegrown vegetables especially when you can just walk outside to the garden and pick whatever you want. I want the flavor to be bold so i used celery sticks, chopped garlic, dried red chili, green onions, white onions, cilantro, and chopped tomatoes.


My method of cooking is pretty simple.
1). A few dashes of olive oil in a sauce pan, add the chopped garlic, then the white onions followed by chopped celery sticks on high heat.

2). Allow 3-5 minutes for them to be cooked down, add in the chopped tomatoes and about 1 tbsp of sugar and 2 tsp of salt. In a separate cup, add approximately 1/2 cup of water and 1 tablespoon of mushroom powder (replace chicken broth) mix well then add it to the pot. Let it simmer for another 2 minutes before adding in the can of chili. Reduce to medium heat and allow for simmering to take place for about 25 minutes with lid on. To make your chili a little thicker to your liking, please allow about 2-3 tsp of corn starch to be mixed well in warm water. Then add to the sauce pan, stir well occasionally every 5 minutes or so.

3). Add salt and/or sugar to taste, serve hot with your choice of shredded cheese and top with a pinch of green onions. I used the mexican style shredded cheese. Enjoy!




-Timothy Pham

No comments:

Post a Comment