Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My 90-day Vegetarian Challenge DAY 8

Back to back busy day of work. Had a small serving of Multi-Grain Cheerios for breakfast to start my day. Made plans for dinner in La Jolla with a friend of mine whom I met in a research lab. Arrived in La Jolla around 4:30pm with only breakfast in my stomach. Tired and hungry, she recommended Piatti an Italian restaurant in La Jolla Shores since the place I had chosen La Vita Dolce Ristorante wasn't open until 5pm (sucks). Upon arriving to Piatti, the look of the place is very charming inside and out. We decided to take a table outside to enjoy the beautiful outdoor scenery and sunshine. Our server she was very nice and sociable especially when I told her I was doing a 90-day vegetarian challenge. She herself is a 5 year veteran being a vegetarian until she gave it up after getting drunk at a beach bbq (fun story she told). As we were going over the menu I asked a lot of questions about the food they were serving just to make sure no meat product is involved. She went to check with the chefs and indeed the sauce for my pasta does not include chicken broth. Sounds like I was being difficult with my choices but I did not want to feel I'm cheating in this challenge.


Our waitress asked me how strict I was on this vegetarian thing and I told her that I will accept fish and seafood. She recommended that I order the Linguine Alla Pescatora (mussels, clams, shrimp, calamari, fresh fish, garlic, parsley, chili flakes & white wine tomato sauce). I did however, I substituted the linguine for the fettuccine pasta. I started out with a mixed green salad with a light Italian vinaigrette dressing which was awesome. Not to mention Piatti's bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar dip is to die for. Beats the typical butter other restaurants give you. When our waitress came out with my Fettuccine Alla Pescatora, I was blown away of the amount of fish and seafood in the pasta. All the flavors were there, the white wine tomato sauce was very pleasing made just right. As I was sitting there enjoying my dinner and having a wonderful conversation. I wish they would serve it in a bigger portion because it's that good! I would have to say thanks to my friend for recommending Piatti because I will be back.


-Timothy Pham

No comments:

Post a Comment