Monday, July 11, 2011

My 90-day Vegetarian Challenge DAY 6

Today was an exciting day. First off I got braces for the first time in my life. It was more of an impulse decision after receiving my consultation with an orthodontist. I've been told in the past that I should consider getting them because my teeth are grinding and there is a little of an overbite. For years I have been putting it off because I did not want to spend thousands of dollars for them, I was fine with the way my teeth were at the time. Somehow today I had the courage in me to say yes and I did, that yes costs me nearly $3,ooo for a full set of braces which I will have for the next two years, yikes! I know some people like my sister pay about $6500 for theirs and I was kind of happy that mine came in more than half of that. Two hours later I have my upper teeth fitted with braces then follow by the bottom set about a month later. I guess braces could help with my vegetarian diet to look on the positive side and also cuts down tremendously on the amount of junk food I'm not suppose to eat. Overall I really like how they look and I'm looking forward to see how much my smile and teeth look two years later.

Today was very satisfying as I woke up and had a small bowl of Multi-Grain Cheerios with Almond milk for breakfast before heading to the orthodontist to get my braces. I love eating this particular type of cereal because about a year ago it was introduced to me by a good friend of mine who came to visit me in San Diego (beautiful place) where I was living at the time. I really like the taste of 5 whole grains (corn, oats, barley, wheat and rice) altogether and it is really low in calories as well, 110 cal per serving. For lunch I was in a hurry because I had to drive to Los Angeles to meet with a client. I rushed home and had a small bowl of white rice with chilli beancurd sauce then out the door. I came home and my cousin who was visiting made an awesome noodle soup with mackerel. I remembered telling her that if she was going to cook something please keep my vegetarian diet in mind.


The noodle soup was amazing and please forgive me, I ate two portions =). The soup itself was flavorful with pineapple chunks, tomatoes, green onions and of course mackerel. Although I shouldn't feel bad about eating fish because in no time I will be an ovo-lacto vegetarian which means no fish or seafood to finish out this challenge. I was more interested in the soup itself and the vegetables she had out than trying to load up on as much mackerel as possible. I was able to limit the amount of mackerel as possible which works out well. Then 30 minutes later I had the urge to eat again so I had some white rice with the soup and some mackerel. I wasn't lying when I said in the beginning that today was a very satisfying day.


-Timothy Pham

No comments:

Post a Comment