Sunday, July 24, 2011

My 90-Day Vegetarian Challenge DAY 17

"In great attempts, it is glorious even to fail"

Went to Stater Bro's today to do some grocery shopping for a recipe that I wanted to make for lunch. I was inspired by a good friend of mine Kimiko who sent me a text message a few weeks ago as we were having a conversation about my vegetarian challenge. She suggested that I make eggplant parmesan because it's "so good" as she puts it. I grabbed the ingredients necessary for the dish and a few other vegetarian goodies while I'm at it.


For my eggplant parmesan I decided to use mozzarella cheese rather than parmesan, I know it's weird right? Well lets just call it eggplant parmesan anyway just because lol. I have never worked with eggplants before so I took a leap and let faith decides where it goes. I want to couple the eggplant with some fettuccine tossed in a vegetable marinara sauce. Without doing a little research into how to cook an eggplant I knew that the eggplant was going to get fried up anyhow. Little did I know, eggplants tend to act as a sponge when frying it in oil without smothering it with egg batter and coat it with bread crumbs. Within 1 minute, the slice of my eggplant soaked up all the oil in the pan. Long story short, I then tossed it into the oven for about 15mins and baked it at 225 degrees. It looked great but after a few bites I felt that this is not how it's suppose to taste, the texture just wasn't up to par. So with a trash can nearby and it looked hungry, so I fed it with the eggplant. I ended up just eating the fettuccine which by the way superb!


I had to admit, I failed at attempting to work with eggplants for the first time. It happens to the best of us or maybe just some of us. Failing is a process of learning and even if you did fail, there was a fortune cookie I came across with the message saying "In great attempts, it is glorious even to fail." It's true right?

No comments:

Post a Comment