Saturday, July 23, 2011

My 90-Day Vegetarian Challenge DAY 17

Jazz Cat Shabu-shabu


Once again got invited out to have a late night dinner with some friends. Although I enjoyed my dinner at home eating rice with mango squid salad but I had the urge to go out and enjoy this Friday night. Met my friends up in Rowland Heights where they were eating stinky tofu as a snack at one of the spots in an alley of a plaza. I took my first sample of stinky tofu and I was not a fat, thanks to Icebreakers for taking care of the bad taste in seconds (those do come in handy). We decided to head over to Jazz Cat a fusion shabu restaurant that happens to open pretty late. Friends gave me an awkward look when I ordered the veggie plate with a veggie soup base. As you can see that the hot pot did not look appetizing at all. Was told that it was just water and a hint of some unknown spice with one shiitake mushroom. My veggie plate includes enoki mushrooms, tofu, napa cabbage, baby bok ch0y, baby corn, celery, carrots and squash. Throw it all in the pot, it looked very appetizing then. I served it with udon and rice and gave it two thumbs up!


It was somewhat difficult as I was sitting with my friends eating and for the entire time we were at Jazz Cat it was tempting to see their hot pots come in different flavors and types of meat. Then there was my veggie hot pot. What can I say? A challenge is a challenge and finding myself in situations like this one only makes me stronger.

-Timothy Pham

No comments:

Post a Comment